Sunday, May 3, 2009

This describes my life.

So as most of you know I've been in orchestra for practically my whole life, ok only 8 years, but for 5 of those 8 I've had the infamous Sam Tsgawa as my conductor. I was looking at his Facebook page and he posted the following question to students. I just have to share the comments because it is soooooo funny. Maybe it's because I'm nerd, but serisouly all of them are true. Most of them are inside jokes, but I'm sure some of them are universal nerdy things. Enjoy.


SAM: To students, former students, and friends. Please complete the following statement:"You know you have been in orchestra too long when..." Be nice. This is a public forum.


Youu have nightmares about your violin smashing into a million pieces. It's horrific.

A leatherman isn't just a handy tool... It's a form of torture!

the all black dress you bought specifically for orchestra concerts starts to show signs of serious wear and tear


you start saying "Music is fun!" after countless hours of the school musical rehearsals

You're able to tolerate those weirdo band kids.

you've called Sam "Dad." You find this unsurprising as you spend more time with him than you do with your family.

you wake up with the viola part to "Simple Symphony" or "Fiddles on Fire" stuck in your head.

You have dreams about sam. a lot. and nightmares about missing early morning every night during sprink break.

Your favorite tune is now Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies instead of something more popular like Viva La Vida o Big Country.

Roger says that you know you've been in orchestra too long when you are laughing at Sam's jokes!


You start pounding out random rhythms on your body during math class!


You successfully convince Sam that your boyfriend should come along on the Chamber Orchestra tour as the "Orchestra Aide" ;DSecretly Sam, I would love nothing more than to still be in one of your orchestras today. I could NEVER get enough! ♥

I thought of another...when you spend your whole first paycheck on Snapple so you can pay somebody off...more than once.

you can throw "Sam Quotes" into everyday conversations without batting an eye. Oh, and when you try to convince everyone around you that the shortest pencil is better than the longest memory.


You can still play the chair part to Lord of the Dance.



These are soooo true! I thought of a few more:*you wake up early on weekends to get ready and then realize THERE ARE NO EARLY MORNING REHEARSALS ON SATURDAYS OR SUNDAYS!!!*you realize that all of your friends are either band or orchestra members and that everyone else is just weird or "doesn't get it"*you get callouses on your fingertips or a violin/viola hickey under your chin and you WANT to show it off*you start to think that wearing all-black is normal and not at all goth... Read More*all of your worst fears are orchestra/music/performance or conductor-related*your highest goal in life is to go Pro or to conduct an orchestra*you feel like "blood or vomit" are the only acceptable excuses for getting out of or missing anything important*You get bursitis in your shoulders as a teenager*all of your money goes to tour*all of your time goes to orchestra*you sell your soul to the conductor in your delirium of sleep-deprivation

Kjersti Jones: You have no finger or toenails left, and the answer to every possible question is "watch the conductor". By the way these are the funniest answers ever, and I'm still laughing at every comment.>

3 comments:

Stef said...

You are crazy and you put so much into your music but girl it pays off! You are so amazing and talented and it all will pay off one day. I already see that it is now! There is nothing you can't do!

loveland9 said...

Okay, even though I've been out of the loop for awhile, they're still funny. Wow, your profile can say that you're a sophomore now. Can you believe it?

Abby said...

Kiersti, I didn't know that Sam Tsugawa was your conductor! I went to summer music camp and had him as a conductor at Utah State. I really was cracking up at some of these comments, especially the Lord of The Dance comments. That's hilarious. Small world. I might just have to mail you your surprise. My husband and I have been sharing a car and I keep forgetting to call to bring it over.