Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Angel's Landing-I Found My Wings

The Monday after finals ended some friends and I headed down to Zion's National Park to hike Angel's Landing. Only two people in the group had done the hike before. I was super excited, but wasn't ready for how steep it was. My friends that went from left to right are Billy, Briana, me, Stefanie, and Jacqlyn. Look how beautiful the background is!
The first part was paved, but it was steeeeeep! My calves and shins were burning like fire. I could only imagine what it was going to do to our knees on the way down.
We found a holey rock mountain.

Me, Stef, Bri, Jac, and Billy
A much needed water break....
God loves us, look how beautiful.

This park of the hike was hard. It's called Walter's Wiggles and it's just really sharp turn backs so you don't have to go straight up, yeah, I'm not in shape, then again round is a shape. ;)

The last part of the hike was up a rocky mountain with cliffs on both sides, hence the chain.

Look at the itty bitty road....

We made it! 5,785 ft up in the air! It doesn't look that high, oh but it is.

Oh yeah, we're smart. I know let's race on top of the cliff!

What? I didn't see a sign that said don't feed the animals! (They sure did like our cheesey crackers though)

Our furry friends inspired Stef...

I think we all had a little too much energy on the way down.

That one hurt....

After we got back to the bottom we decided to play in the Virgin River. Turns out the water was freeeeeeezing, and we could only keep our feet in for like 3 seconds at a time, but it was pretty.

Oh Billy! You didn't.

On the shuttle ride down there was a family sitting in front of me and Stef and the mom was speaking French to her little boy. He was so cute and he even let me hold him. He wanted a drink, and every time the bus would move the water would slosh and go up his nose. It was funny, and a little sad. Stef said his mom looked like Celine Dion...we tried to get a picture without her noticing. haha I think it's safe to say that we all had a great time that day despite the major sunburns we all got. I was perfectly red, and still a week later I have a huge sock line that's white against red. I love it. :) I love summer because of all the great hiking that needs to be done!

3 comments:

loveland9 said...

Oh my heck, Angel's landing? I did that when I was engaged to D. I bawled going up the mountain while clinging to the chains. I knew I was going to fall to my death. D will tell you the same thing.

You love to hike? Wow. Hope your burns to some good color. Enjoy your summer.

Abby said...

yay! Summer is here! You girlies have way too much fun! Cedar misses you and so do I:(

Tina said...

Way to go!! I've never been and I don't think I'll ever go. I'm too shaky and I know I would fall.
You are so good with kids Kjersti! I don't think there is a child that doesn't like you!!