Sunday, July 25, 2010

"So that they may Remember"

Ah! This week has been amazing. We just got out of a meeting with Bishop Kevin C. McMullin in the presiding bishopric. What an incredible man. He talked about remembering, and once a missionary, always a missionary. Are we not all obligated to be missionaries? We were foreordained by our Heavenly Father to be missionaries and to serve the Lord. As we work as missionaries the Lord will magnify this fore ordination. Bishop McMullin also spoke in our sacrament meeting about never postponing a prompting. As we obey promptings the consequence becomes clear as we pursue them. He spoke with such power, and conviction. It was like a general conference talk. The president of BYU-I was here this week as well. President Clark and his wife spoke to us Wednesday morning. One of the things he touched on was being prepared to teach. Our duty will be to teach the many who will flock to hear the worlds of the gospel. Be prepared to teach. Work under the authority of the priesthood. 1. Teach the truth 2. Invite them to act, and exercise their agency. 3. Promise them blessings. Be bold. This is the Lord's work, and it is taught through the power of the Holy Ghost. Later that day my grandparents took my companion and I to lunch, and we saw the Clark's there. We got to chat with them for a minute. They are great and kind people.
It was so fun to have my grandparents here this week. They are incredible people. I want to strengthen my relationship with them. They have lived, and continue to live their life full of service to their family, grandchildren, and everyone around them. I definitely have a lot to live up to. Thank you grandpa and grandma for coming to Nauvoo to see the work I am doing here. I love you! My family also got here Thursday night. It's really a miracle that they were able to come. I want them to be able to experience Nauvoo now that we're all older. I want them to feel of the faith the saints had, and everything they had to sacrifice for what they knew was true. I want my siblings testimonies to be strengthened. I haven't seen them much because we're always on the go, but I'll be going to Carthage with them this afternoon, so that will be neat.
I got to work in Lucy Mack Smith's home this week. What an incredible woman of faith, and love for the Lord, to be able to endure all the pain and hardships she had. She lost four sons and her husband in a short time period of four years, yet she stayed faithful until the end. I can't wait to get home and study more about her and her life.
I talked to a man and his wife at the pageant one night from Southern Illinois. They came to Nauvoo because he enjoys historical things. His wife found a Book of Mormon at a thrift store a while ago, and brought it home for him to read. He read it and said it helped him understand the bible better, but that he's not really a believer. I was able to testify in that moment that I knew the Book of Mormon is the word of God, and it is another testament of Jesus Christ. I didn't get to talk to him very long because I had to run back stage before the show started, but my grandparents were sitting right next to them, and they're great missionaries so I'm sure they talked to them some more.
Time flies here. Like, really fast. Yesterday was the 17th of July...We come home the 17th of August. That is sad, but also exciting because I get to go home and be a new, better Kjersti. I'm very excited. I'm excited to keep the commitments I've made to myself. I'm excited to continue to be a missionary in different ways, and to help myself and others remember Christ.
Now after that is said let me tell you a story. So I drive the 12 passenger van for the 10 stage sisters. We go straight from our Sunset show to Pageant, but first we have to change into our 10lb pageant dresses. So here I am with this parking pass, we're driving down the road, and I drive past these cops, and then up onto to the grass behind our house ( we've done this before, there just haven't been cops around)...You see, if we go around to the next blocked road to pull into our driveway the right way, it takes too long. So...I pull into the driveway, and I'm running up the stairs in our house to change when I hear from downstairs "Sister Jones, Sister Jones" Our dear friend Mr. Cop was at our back door. I was thinking "ok, that's real cool. The first run in with the cops on the mish." So of course being the calm and collected person I innocently answer to the cop that "yes, I was driving that vehicle." (as he points to our van.) So here I am thinking I'm going to get busted for driving over the grass, and then he tells me to slow down. slow down? He said he would have to take away my "driving privileges." What is he? My mom? I was going like 5 miles an hour, and their were not people around. Silly cop. He just wanted to get us in trouble. The scary man that yelled at me a few days ago probably told him to do it. Like I said in the previous paragraph. I can't wait to go home and be a better Kjersti. :)
Remember to remember, and don't postpone promptings.
Have a good week.
Love, Sister Jones
P.S. Sorry I haven't sent any pictures. I figured I'll just post them when I get home. Plus I don't think you really want to see how I have to do my pioneer hair everyday.

No comments: