Sunday, May 16, 2010

Nauvoo Miracles

Where to start? I do not know. Actually I don't really even know what to say, because there is so much to say, but not really...if that makes sense? This has been the longest/shortest week of my life. I can't believe that we have only been here one week! All the sisters are so close to each other already. I feel like I have known them forever. They are great.
The flights here were good, and no worries, we did start rehearsing our music on the bus from St. Louis to Nauvoo. We got in late, but the President Ludwig and his wife still had us over for a late dinner. I love the mission president already. He and his wife are so amazing.
My companion is Sister McKay from California, but here family just moved to Louisiana. She is a musical dance theater major at BYU. She is so talented at everything. I am so glad that we became companions, even though I would have loved to be companions with anyone of the sisters.
The spirit here is Nauvoo is incredible. In the morning we walk out our back door of our house, and there's the temple. Just sitting there on the hill. It still seems unreal sometimes, actually most of the time. It's such a beautiful temple. Nauvoo is beautiful. ahh. I can't believe I get to live here for the summer, and have this experience.
The first 3 days we were here we sang non stop, just learning our music. Kelly DeHaan was supposed to be our music director, but he got an infection after a surgery he had, and he was in the hospital so we had the amazing Leanne Willmore. She's in charge of all Utah Honor Choirs and State Choirs, so I had seen her around. She is INCREDIBLE. She came out here last minute, and was sight-reading all the music with us. She made us sound so good. Sister Camp told her that she would love the YPM's and she said "No I won't." She did. She fell in love with all of us in 3 days, and we fell in love with her. When she was getting off at the airport she told the Bower's that she couldn't believe we had learned, and memorized all that music in 3 days. I can't tell you how much music. You wouldn't believe me. So here's Nauvoo Miracle #1. I can't memorize lyrics. I'm horrible. I never can remember. Guess what? In Nauvoo I can. I do remember, and I know the songs. Nauvoo Miracle #2. I'm way dyslexic with notes on the lines, and I mix up words all the time. Guess what? In Nauvoo I don't. I haven't mixed up words in the songs, or in my scriptures, and even after reading notes for 3 days straight I didn't even mix any of those up. Nauvoo Miracles. That's what they're called.
We have church on Sundays at 8 am with all the senior missionaries, and the young sister missionaries. I love the senior missionaries. They always just want to hug and squeeze us. They love the YPM's.
Tuesday we started dancing. I'm an awful dancer, but the Lord makes all things possible. So we had been dancing all day, and I was remembering the dances , and even having fun. We were practicing a lift turn thingy that we had to do with the elders, and I came down wrong one of the times. I don't really know what happened except for I landed on the elders foot, and turned my ankle. Really bad. I've never had a sprained ankle, but it wasn't one that you can just off. I don't really remember what happened because I almost passed out, which I've never done either, but my companion had come to hold my head, and someone went to get ice. I vaguely remember all the sisters and elders on the other side of the stage saying a prayer. They got me some water, and then I got a blessing from two of the elders. I was so mad. Mad that I had fallen. Mad that I couldn't walk. You know, doing all the why me? stuff. The mission doctor came and wrapped my foot, and then Elder Camp basically told me no more tears, and I had to be strong, and be an example to the others. They usually have 2 or 3 injuries throughout the summer, but I didn't think it would be. It was. But i am so grateful now that it was in the first week of rehearsals instead of 3 weeks into performances. I took one of the injuries for the team, and I can be ok with that. In fact I'm grateful for it now because it gave me the opportunity to accept service from my sisters. So, you ready? Nauvoo Miracle #3. I sprained my ankle Tuesday night, I was on crutches all day Wednesday (I had to sit, and watch everything, all day. That didn't go over so well, but remember I sucked it up. I sat and watched, and learned what I could by watching.) Thursday I was down to one crutch. Friday I had one crutch, until about midday, and then I could limp around with no crutches, and one shoe. Friday night I had a blessing from the mission president and Elder Bowers. I knew I would be better by Saturday morning. I just knew I would. I woke up Saturday morning I could move my ankle up, and down without any pain. I still limped though because I had a big bruise on my foot because of the way I had been walking. Saturday no crutches, and just an ankle brace. My ankle is healed. Stuff like that doesn't happen anywhere else. I don't think... I still have to be really careful with it so I don't injure it again, but I can be up on stage and mark the dances. I just have to have faith that I will know all the dances for opening night in less than two weeks. And that's Nauvoo Miracle #3.
Susan Easton Black came on Wednesday, and gave an amazing fireside on the Book of Mormon. I'm getting used to this whole missionary thing. Zone conference was last Sunday, district meeting is tonight, companionship study, etc etc, but I'm loving it. Just in case you're wondering who the Camp's are they are our directors, and such. The Bower's take care of everything else. Basically they're our mission mom and dad. I love all of them so much. The Bower's are about as sweet as they come.
Oh, let's talk about the elders. They are so stinkin talented, and hilarious. Every single one of them. This is definitely a unique mission. Where else do you get to closely interact with amazing Elders on such a peronsl level. They are so funny. They choose a word of the day, and they give clever hints throughout the day to see if the sisters can guess the word. So far we have nuclear, squishy, babies, delicious, pudding. How silly.
I love Nauvoo. I love my sisters. I truly do. I thought it would be bad to have ten girls in a little house, but I just love them all. We know that each one of us is supposed to be here this particular summer. We don't know exactly why yet, but...we'll find out.
I just wish everyone could come to Nauvoo, and find out how amazing it is.
They keep us so busy we don't have time to breathe, let alone be idle. It's a good thing. I love being busy.
I hope all is well at home. Please write me and tell me what's going on.
Love,
Sister Jones

4 comments:

loveland9 said...

You're so awesome. I'm so happy for you and the experiences that you're having. Love you.

Tina said...

I will write!! I will!!
You are one lucky girl. All those miracles and all those wonderful experiences. You are going to grow in ways you didn't even know you could grow. How exciting!!

Chelsea and Glen said...

I don't think you will read this until you get home but I am glad you are having a good experience! I hope this helps motivate you to serve a full-time mission!!

RecipeNut said...

Love hearing about your experiences! Wish I could come see you perform....you'll be amazing!!